Today I was accepting a LinkedIn recommendation from a colleague of mine (thanks Prashant) when I thought to myself, wonder what all these 20+ recommendations say about me in aggregate.
So I started a 15min project to figure that out. Using a frequently overlooked social media capability called Tag Clouds I was able to get a feel of that.
Using Wordle I was able to quickly pull together the tag cloud and here's what it said.
- Navigated to my public profile on LinkedIn
- Scrolled all the way down to where all Recommendations are listed
- Dragged the mouse across all the text and copied the content using Ctrl-C
- Pasted the content into Notepad
- Replaced all occurrence of "Siebel Systems" and "Oracle Corporation" the two organizations where I've worked over the last 10 years of my career.
- Copied and Pasted the text into the Textbox on Wordle
- Visualized the tag cloud
- Published the tag cloud as public so I can share it and put it here on my blog.